All parents have concerns about the safety of their children and about safety and security measures and practices that are in place and are carried out daily. We wanted you to be aware of the security already in place throughout Oaks School #3, any changes we have recently made, and efforts to reinforce those measures.
First, the following procedures already established are being strictly enforced:
- No one will be given access to the building until he/she identifies themselves and gives a reason for being in the school.
- All visitors must present ID and sign in with the front desk. No parent/visitor is allowed to walk through the building without a visitors pass.
- All doors will remain locked throughout the school day. We are a single entry facility.
- Parents/visitors must exit through the front of the building claiming their ID upon leaving.
Secondly, the following procedures are newly implemented and effective immediately to guarantee the safety of our students and staff during before school activities:
- The cafeteria door will no longer be unlocked in the morning. All students and staff MUST utilize the front door to enter the building for the breakfast program, extra help, clubs, and/or music instruction.
- Students who arrive for morning activities will remain at the front desk until the morning monitor has confirmed the teacher is present in the building.
- Parents who drop-off students for morning activities will not be allowed to walk through the building.
The safety and welfare of our students and staff are our highest priority. We practice safety drills throughout the year to help our students know what to do in an emergency. Each year we conduct fire drills, emergency dismissal drills, shelter drills and lock-down drills. The goals of the drills are to improve our ability to protect students and they allow us to evaluate our emergency operation plans and improve our response skills.
Within the next two weeks, we will be conducting a lock-down drill. The date and time of the drill will not be announced. You would only be notified if it was a real emergency. Our Site-Based parents will participate in the drill to assist us in evaluating our practices.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.